Saturday, October 18, 2008

Amazing Artist

http://www.chrisjordan.com/

I had the privilege of listening to this artist speak in Seattle on Monday and he is amazing! His art is about exposing the mass consumerism of America. In his "Running the Numbers" series he takes pictures of a representation of something -- for example, soda cans -- and uses Photoshop to create a graphic representation of a statistic -- he used the soda cans to recreate a Seurat painting that depicted the number of aluminum cans used in the US EVERY 30 SECONDS!!

Although his presentation was hard to watch (some of the numbers are just disgusting), I found myself motivated to reduce my consumerism and to help educate those around me.

*For those of you who want to check it out, I must warn you that some of his work is a bit graphic*

No comments: