Friday, November 5, 2010

Reflection Journal #3

Quick summary: Students rocked their test! :) Secured a guest presentation from a privacy officer that sounds great. Finished pregnancy in coding class and moved test back a day. Finally caught up on most of my emails and made some more clinical calls. 9.5 sites confirmed, with hopefully 8.5 more from messages left. Recruiting Linda to help me next week. :) Met with my advisor about my PhD. 27 credits of classes left, then prelim exams (that I had no idea about), and the final 20 credits of dissertation. I'm looking at a 5-year plan...

Reflection discussion: I was contemplating my topic of the week on Wednesday and thinking of something to do with how I love learning. But I decided to switch it a (little) bit today. I wanted to look at the flipside. Most of you know that Loren (my hubby) is currently in school as well and he, well, hates it. He's always disliked school. Not as much when he was in the technical program, doing more hands-on stuff (autobody and computer technology), but he's so not into the academic classes. Right now it's English 102 that's bugging him. And I have a hard time sympathizing because I love school so much, so I don't understand how he feels. It made me realize that I'm sure some of my students feel the way he does (and not the way I do). Although, I'm not sure it's not a love for learning. I think everyone likes to learn, I think it's human nature. But I think the structure of the academic setting does not fit everyone. I've always loved school -- both of my parents were valedictorians, so I'm sure they instilled that in me. And I've always been good at it. School is actually a comfort zone for me. Hence why I love my job. :) And because I've always been good at it, I've always been reinforced -- I've never been told I'm stupid or that I can't do something. I actually often feel people have more faith in me than I deserve! ;) But I can see that if you don't fit the mold of school, if you haven't been encouraged in school, if you're not surrounded by people who support you ... why you might dislike it. I keep hoping my nerdy-ness will rub off on Loren, but it doesn't seem to be working. I hope that in some way my passion for teaching rubs off on my students at least a little. :) I had an incredibly inspirational conversation with a student last year about how two teachers made all the difference in her education. I'd like to think I can be that person for someone, someday...

Sidenote: Because I simply don't have enough things to do these days, I've decided to add a new task. I would like to become an advocacy source for breastfeeding on campus. Although I know I'm not in a "public figure" role, I do interact with a large number of students and feel that the BSU campus life has a big impact on a lot of people. I'm hoping to work with either University Health Services or the Women's Center to promote breastfeeding awareness and acceptance. I'd like to see marketing of either an on-campus support group or coordination with a community group (maybe through the hospitals) and I'd also like to have a place on campus for nursing mothers to either nurse or pump. I've become really passionate about this topic and feel that I can use my role on campus in a positive way. Now it's just a matter of squeezing it in with family, teaching, research, my PhD, ICD-10 training... :)

No comments: