Thursday, April 23, 2009

Oh Jaime

I just seem to get myself into a pickle sometimes. Addie and I had gone out shopping this morning for Kadie's baby shower and came home around 11am for a break. I pull up to the house and attempt to open the garage, but the darn thing won't open (even after fiddling with the battery, like that will actually do anything). Because we always park the Subaru in the garage, that's my method of getting in the house -- I don't carry a house key with me unless I drive the Honda. So there I am parked in the driveway with Addie (who's asleep), and no open garage door. Oh well, I can just crawl through the doggie door (which is always left open while we're gone). I yank open the back gate and get ready to crawl through the little door -- only to find that I hadn't opened it before I left. Now what am I going to do? I decide to go back through the gate so I can at least be with Addie, but I've now closed that too -- which latches from the outside. And shortie me can't reach it. I climb on the gate and try, but my weight on the gate pushes against the latch and I can't open it. Great, now I'm stuck in the backyard while Addie's asleep in the car in the driveway and I can't get into my house. I call Loren and ask what I should do. He got me through the gate (reminded me that there are chairs on the back porch) and said I could try to wedge the doggie door open with something. Of course we don't have a toolbox in the car -- just loads of baby stuff, but I did find a pen. Our crappy doggie door had broken about a month ago leaving a small hole where the "lock" used to be. I grab the pen and go for the doggie door again. The pen fits perfect and I'm able to wedge the door open enough to get my fingers underneath (while snapping off a fingernail of course) and slide it out. Finally I was able to crawl through and unlock the front door (the garage door won't open at all). Ugh.

No comments: