Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Christmas 2011

Needless to say, after being gone for a week, Christmas was a bit hectic.  But isn't Christmas always hectic?  I'm really trying to figure out how to have a relaxed, enjoyable holiday.  It never ceases to completely stress me out, which doesn't make it overly enjoyable.  The kids did have fun though.

Friday was our first day home and Loren worked while I stressed about Christmas shopping.  Ideally I would have had it all done before we left, but again, I can't ever seem to get my act together for Christmas -- the end of the semester this year was particularly chaotic.  Addie had asked for a "real frog" for Christmas, so Loren picked it up on his way home.  We hid in the bathroom (the hallway one that Addie doesn't use -- that stays really nice and warm) until the big day.

Saturday I hit the stores again, alone, shopping for the kids.  I had put this off hoping that Loren and I could do it together, but we just hadn't found the time without the kids to go.  So I headed off alone, with a few key things in mind.  We weren't trying to go overboard, but Addie had requested a few items.

That evening, Christmas Eve, we headed out to my mom's for dinner. We got to spent the evening with her and Domonic, Kris, Domonic's daughters Wendy - with daughter Dresdyn - and Sarah - with son Elijah and boyfriend Tom - and my Grandma Dean and Ray.

Dresdyn and Addie are reading Grandma's new Christmas book.


We enjoyed some delicious food and the kids went crazy opening presents (I think they were done in about 10 minutes and the living room looked like Santa's sleigh had exploded).

After we got home that night and put the kids to bed, Loren and I stayed up to wrap all the gifts and get the stockings ready.  We had checked on the frog before our wrapping adventures and then, much to our disappointment, in checking in on him again before bed, found him lifeless.  Poor thing was already gone.  :(  We think it was the water we used in the tank.  I was super bummed that he had gotten Addie her frog, but couldn't get a new one until after Christmas.

Christmas morning we were up and ready to see what Santa had left.

The kids' stockings were knit by Loren's Grandma Dee, and both have their names on them.  :)  The dogs both have stockings too.

Yes, Hayden got a mop.  He broke our old one, and although he was happy with this for the day, he seems to still prefer the broken one.




After pillaging the stockings, we moved on to the wrapped gifts.




After Addie opened her presents, I decided to show her the frog to let her know we'd get a new one on Monday.  To my surprise and Loren's disgust, she was actually quite thrilled with a dead frog.  It let her hold it and didn't hop away!  So my morbid little girl enjoyed her dead frog for the morning, until dad finally took it away.  She seemed quite fine with it and was excited to pick out a new frog the next day.  We had some breakfast and were joined throughout that morning by Uncle Ryan and Aunt Cassie, and my dad and Denise.  Addie was happy with present after present...  :)

The kids put on their new pjs.  These dino jams glow in the dark!

New froggie jams for Addie, but the little squirt can't keep the pants up around her tiny waist!  :)

That evening we went to Rick's house for dinner.  I think the kids had a great holiday.  Definitely made a haul, and got to see the whole fam.

We headed to Zamzows the following day and she picked out a fire-bellied toad, which she promptly named Hoppy.  We got him set up in his new home and I'm happy to say that he is still alive and well.  :)

My brother and Erin were out of town for Christmas, so we got together the following week.  Addie was more than happy to keep the festivities going.  We went to their house, with my mom, Domonic, dad, and Denise, and had another nice dinner (seriously, I think the food is my favorite part of the holidays!) and I think we finally finished opening the last of our gifts.  It took a bit for Addie to understand Christmas was over, but she knows she has a birthday to look forward to, so she's ok.  :)

No comments: