Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Peet's, Redwoods, Beach, and a Gorgeous Day! - Day 5

You'll notice that our typical trip always includes Santa Rosa, San Fran, the redwoods, and the beach.  So off to finish our ventures we went.  Get ready for pic overload!

We started our day meeting Granmda K (Loren's grandma on his mom's side) at Peet's coffee in Windsor.  It was great to see her and the kids loved running around outside on what was shaping into another absolutely beautiful day.

This pic is twofold.  One, to show the beautiful sunshine, and two, most importantly, to show my Addie's fabulous sense of style.  Thanks Uncle Ron and Aunt Patty for the hat!

Hayden loved running around outside exploring the grounds.  I can't believe what a little boy he has turned into!  I think my baby days are over.


Boys and sticks...

After our visit we hit the road in search of the redwoods.  We usually hit a small park outside of Guerneville (super cute little town in a setting like McCall but only 20min from the beach - my paradise) called Armstrong Redwoods.






It's always hard to get decent shots here because the lighting is so weird -- mostly very dark with some bright sunshine-y spots.  Our camera doesn't seem to like it.




We finally decided it was time for a family shot.  Loren kept trying with the self-timer, but his head was always cut off (that's what happens when you set the camera up for a shot of me).  We finally preyed on some passers-by to help out.


On our way out, Loren got the fantastic hold-the-arm-out-and-hope-for-the-best shot.  Most family pics we've gotten in over a year!

After the redwoods we continued our journey right out to the beach.  If you go past Guerneville you'll end up at Bodega Bay.  All of this is heading west of Santa Rosa, and is a very nice drive (but probably not one if you get carsick).  Now, with as much as I love the ocean, I will admit I was hesitant to go on this venture. The beach there is always cold and incredibly windy -- I'm always ready to turn right back around as soon I get out of the car.  But Loren insisted, so I went along.  And it was the most beautiful day on the beach ever!!  It was clear with beautiful sunshine, about 60 degrees, and absolutely no wind!  I was in heaven.  (I was also reminded that even when it's a not-so-nice day, it's still a beautiful and fun drive along the highway)


We grabbed some sandwiches and had a little picnic on a rock, which was great until the seagulls nearly ran us out (seriously, they swiped our whole bag of chips).  Hayden, of course, immediately ran out to the water, fell, and got soaked.  So he ran out in just a diaper.  

Here he is dipping his found treasure (a stick) in salt water.  Delish!


He enjoyed playing in the little pools of water in the rocks.

He absolutely loved chasing the birds.


Addie was content to dig in the sand and play on the rocks.

My little runner.




This is Hayden's usual face when he discovers something.  It is accompanied by a shriek and pointing.

My little rock climber.



Just love the little footprints!

Yep, that's my boy.

He wanted to eat the sand too.

Oh how I love the water!

After the beach we ventured back to Grandma's.  Hayden found a new playspot (kitchen cupboard).  :)

No comments: