Friday, October 22, 2010

Reflective Learning: Numero Uno

I think you may be able to classify this as a new buzzword -- basically a way of saying taking some time to think about (reflect) on a learning experience. I've decided to try some of this with my students this year. One of the things I find with students is that they get so focused on the day-to-day tasks that they rarely (if ever) take time to stop and reflect on their learning experience. Supposedly this has a positive effect and I can guess why -- so I'm requiring they write once a week in a reflective learning journal. What I was really hoping the students would do is 1) make connections between classes, 2) get out some frustrations and reflect on struggles, and 3) take some time to acknowledge their hard work. Every class our students take is required for a specific reason, and outside of core, that reason is to train them for the workforce and to take the RHIT exam. So, you can imagine, many of the classes overlap in places. However, when students are "in the trenches" I think sometimes they overlook this and put dividers up between classes. I'm hoping that by requiring them to reflect on everything they may make some connections. Most of my students are going to school full-time while working and many have families -- that's a lot of stress and they need to blow off some steam. I'm hoping a journal will help them do this in a healthier manner than saying something outloud in the heat of the moment that they might regret later. This semester is a hard time and the students work really hard. I know for myself, sometimes putting accomplishments in writing can encourage me to give myself the pat on the back that I deserve. So, to my point (for those of you reading this wondering why the heck I'm blogging about it) -- I've decided if I'm going to require it of my students, I should do it too. So this is my first reflective learning blog entry and I will try to do them weekly, just as I require of my students.

Since this is my first, I want to be a bit general and just reflect on my role as a teacher (which is a constant learning experience) and as a student currently (as opposed to the student I used to be). First, my teaching reflection. I love my job. And I'm not just saying this because a student might read it (I'm going to be sure to share this with them, as they are sharing theirs with me). Someone just the other day questioned if anyone looks forward to going to work and I said that do. I love education and am incredibly passionate about it. I really do enjoy the HIM field and liked my first job (in the field) as a coder, but I remember feeling like I needed something with more meaning. I wanted to feel as though I made a difference. And although my students may hate me right now (as I bombard them with homework and exams), I know that I'm making a difference in their future. Maybe not personally (meaning that I don't take full credit and am by no means the only or main catalyst), but I am helping them achieve a goal that will hopefully help them fulfill themselves. It's so great getting that email stating "I got a job!" or "I passed the RHIT!" or "I'm coming back to school." I love running into graduates and hearing what they're doing. Now there are definitely times when I'm a little down on work (like right now, only because I'm behind) and there are certain aspects I don't like (like boring meetings or seeing a student struggle), but overall I really love it. And it's not just a "job" to me. I don't go for a paycheck. I don't clock in and clock out. I live my job constantly. I'm always thinking about what I need to be doing, about new ideas for the classroom, about things I promised students that I forgot to do (like post a study guide). It used to consume me almost entirely, but I've done much better since having the kids of separating work and home. I feel like I have a perfect balance right now (although I'll admit work does suffer a bit more than it used to - but I've found that, for the most part, if I'm flexible with my students, they are flexible with me).

That perfect balance, however, does not seem to be carrying to my life as a student. I used to be SUCH a good student. Most would probably call me a brown-noser. I always went to class, I paid attention (never slept), I studied, I did all my homework, I was often the first one done, I got great grades...not quite so anymore. The nerd in me won't let me entirely slack off, but I'm so much different than I used to be. I put everything until the last minute. I haven't even logged on to my class for a week (and we have continuous discussion boards). I have a literature review due at the end of the month that I've only barely started on. But the craziest part is -- I'm still ahead of most of the students in the class. I think we're all in that crazy boat of working full-time, most with families, while trying to go to school. I have a new appreciation for my students now that I have children too. I had the luxury of being a traditional undergraduate -- no kids, only worked a couple days a week, lived either on or very near campus. It is so much work to balance everything and it often means at least one has to suffer.

I suppose my main reflection points this week are 1) I love teaching and am incredibly thankful for the path that has been placed in front of me (this is not at all the destiny I chose for myself -- I was simply given opportunities and was thankfully smart enough to take them) and 2) being a student is a lot of work and those of you who are students should give yourselves a pat on the back and those of you who know a student should really be proud and show/tell them that.

Til next time...

No comments: